Detox your hormonal system
Apr 23, 2019
We’ve been talking toxins with local naturopath Anne-Marie at The Barefoot Naturopath and their detrimental impact on our hormones. If you feel as if your hormones are out of whack, it may be toxins interfering. These are known as endocrine disruptors and can interfere with any body tissues governed by hormones. Signs that your body may be challenged by some hormonal disruption can include painful or heavy periods, infertility or miscarriage, cystic breasts or ovaries, endometriosis or fibroids, acne, fatigue among others.
Aim to avoid
According to the Environmental Working Group, there are at least 12 serious offenders. Here are 5 of the most potent endocrine disrupting chemicals you should aim to avoid.
- BPA – found in single use and recyclable plastics and canned foods.
- Phthalates – in plastic food containers, children’s toys, plastic food wrap, personal care products and fragrances.
- Fire retardants – in protective clothing, furniture, foam, carpets, insulation.
- Perfluorinated chemicals – non -stick cookware, stain and water-resistant clothing, furniture and carpets
- Organophosphates – widely used in pesticides and insecticides.
Detox your hormonal systems naturally
As well as reducing your exposure to hormone disrupting chemicals, you can also assist your body to detox or cleanse its hormonal systems. Nature’s helpers include:
- cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower, cabbage, garden cress, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and similar green leaf vegetables)
- green tea
- globe artichokes
- lemons and limes
- garlic and rosemary.
Get your detox organs into peak condition
Anne-Marie also suggest choosing organic including one to two servings of at least three of these foods in your diet every day and boost detoxification with organic cold pressed vegetable and fruit juices. To assist the body in getting rid of waste, she says it’s critical that all the detox organs are working at their best – sweating, dry skin brushing, sauna, colonics, massage, yoga and drinking plenty of filtered water are all helpful.